(1895 - 1975)
A famous Belarusian airplane
designer, presiding for many years Sukhoi
Design Bureau in Moscow, Russia. Here's some biographical data from an
excellent Aviation.ru site:
- Paval Osipavich Sukhoi was born 10-Jul-1895 in Belarus in a town of Hlybokaje
- P.O.Sukhoi has passed the diploma tests in MVTU under the supervision of A.N.Tupolev
and entered the AGOS dept of TsAGI in Mart, 1925.
- Sukhoi takes part in development of ANT-3, ANT-4, ANT-6, ANT-9, ANT-10.
- Jun-1927 ANT-5/I-4, the first actual "Su", was first
flown - first Soviet all metal fighter.
- 1933. Hi has head the brigade No3 (KOKOS) of TsAGI.
- May, 1933. ANT-31/I-14 first flown.
- Sukhoi was awarded with the «Red Star» order in 1933.
- Sukhoi, as a head of ANT-25
designer team at A.N.Tupolev Design
Bureau, was awarded with the «Honor Mark» order in 1936 for the
flight from Moscow to Udd island.
- 12-14 July 1937 the ANT-25
the third record flight Moscow, Russia-San Jasinto, CA, USA. running 11,500
km (a crow-flight distance of 10,148 km) in 62 h 17 min was performed. The
crew of the ANT-25 included M.Gromov, A.Yumashev and S. DamIin.
- Sukhoi was awarded with the «Labour Red Banner» 02-Nov-1938 for DB-2 «Rodina»
- September, 1939, Sukhoi became the chief designer and the director of
experimental production facility.
- 13-Sep-1940 Sukhoi was assigned the degree of Dr. of technical sciences
(equivalent of Western Doctor Habilitat).
- 22-Jun-1941 13 regiments equipped with Su-2 entered the combat activity.
- In 1943 Sukhoi has built Su-6, more powerful attack aircraft than Il-2.
The Su-6 was tested but there was no need in just another attack aircraft.
But Sukhoi was awarded with the 1-st class State Award.
- Su-5 and Su-7 booster-based projects were rejected in 1944 and Su-8 attack
aircraft was built in 1944. The war was going to the finish and Su-8 was not
entered serial production.
- Bomber trainer UTB was designed, built, and entered serial production in
- Jet aircraft Su-9 was tested 13-Nov-1946.
- First Russian turbojet Su-11 was tested 28-May-1947.
- First Russian aircraft with hermetic cockpit Su-15 was built.
- In summer, 1949, Russian first super-sonic aircraft with world first
ejectable cockpit was built.
- The OKB was disbanded in November, 1949. Sukhoi returns to Tupolev OKB. Hi
directs the tests of Tu-14.
- Sukhoi OKB was recreated in May, 1953. In September Sukhoi reported two
projects of the new swept-wing and triangle-wing supersonic aircraft for
speed of 1800+ km/h.
- Since 1955 all the aircraft have new designations "S-*" for
swept wingers and "T-*" for delta wingers. Su-24 (T-6) is an
exception (it was declared as a deep modernization of delta-wing
- 08-Sep-1955 HSU A.G.Kochetkov began the tests of the new swept-wing Su-7.
- Sukhoi was awarded with the «Lenin» order in 1955 and became the General
Designer of Aviation Equipment.
- 09-Jun-1956 Su-7 with AL-7F engine piloted by V.N.Makhalin achieved
- 24-Jun-1956 (or 26-Jun?) new Sukhoi's aircraft took part in the Air Parade
in Tushino. The name "Sukhoi" first mentioned publically...
- Su-7 piloted by HSU N.I.Korovushkin achieved 19000m.
- Fall'57 - state tests of Su-7 has began and Sukhoi was awarded with «Gold
Star of the Hero of Socialist Labour».
- 12-Jul-1957 new single-seat side-inlets interceptor first flown (T-1?) by
N.Korovushkin and Eh.Elyan.
- 20-Jun-1958 Su-9 interceptor first flown.
- 03-Dec-1958 Su-9 entered the state tests.
- Sukhoi has been elected to the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
- April, 1959, Su-7B fighter-bomber first flown by HSU E.S.Soloviev.
- 14-Aug-1959 T-431 piloted by HSU V.S.Ilyushin has set the world record of
altitude of 28852m.
- 12-Nov-1959 Su-11 interceptor first flown.
- 26-Apr-1960 Su-11 entered the state tests.
- 28-May-1960 T-405 piloted by B.M.Adrianov has set the world record of
speed at 100km round-trip of 2092km/h.
- 04-Nov-1062 T-431 piloted by HSU V.S.Ilyushin has set the world record of
horizontal flight altitude of 21270m.
- 25-Sep-1962 T-405 piloted by A.Koznov has set the world record of speed at
500km round-trip of 2337km/h.
- 04-May-1963 Su-15 first flown.
- 05-Aug-1963 Su-15 entered the state tests.
- May, 1965, Russian first variable geometry aircraft design has began.
- 10-Jul-1965 Sukhoi was awarded with the second «Gold Star of the Hero of
- 02-Aug-1966 Methodical Council of LII under the supervision of M.L.Gallay
has confirmed the right of variable-geometry aircraft to fly.
- 22-Jul-1966 the Sukhoi's OKB was awarded with the «Lenin» order.
- July, 1967, few new Sukhoi's aircraft were shown in aviation Parade in
Domodedovo. E.K.Kukushev has shown the capability of the new
- March, 1968, T-8 development began.
- July, 1968, Sukhoi was awarded with the Lenin Award.
- August, 1970, Su-15TM first flown and entered the state tests.
- 02-Aug-1972 T-4 «100» bomber first flown.
- 22-Feb-1975 T-8-1 first flown by V.S.Ilyushin.
- 10-Jul-1975 Sukhoi was awarded with the second «Lenin» order.
- Sukhoi died 15-Sep-1975.
- December, 1975. The Presidium of the Academy of Science of USSR has
assigned the medal of A.N.Tupolev No1 to P.O.Sukhoi post mortem.
- January, 1977. Su-24MK first flown.
- March, 1977. The OKB was named after P.O.Sukhoi.
- 20-May-1977 T-10-1 (Su-27) first flown by V.S.Ilyushin.
- May, 1978. First experimental Su-25 entered the state tests.
- Su-17M3 and Su-22M entered serial production in 1978.
- 1979. Su-17M4 first flown.
- 1979. First serial Su-25 first flown.
- 26-Aug-1979. Su-27 with AL-31 engines first flown.
- April-June, 1980. First two Su-25s tested in Afganistan by V.Soloviev,
V.Muzyka, A.Ivanov, and N.Sadovnikov.
- December, 1980. Su-25 has passed the state tests.
- 20-Apr-1981 first prototype of serial Su-27 first flown by V.S.Ilyushin.
- May-1981. First squadron of Su-25 deployed to Afganistan.
- 1981. Su-17M fighter-bomber entered serial production.
- 1981. First serial Su-27 first flown.
- 29-Aug-1982. First springboard start of Su-27 piloted by N.Sadovnikov.
- Su-22M3 and Su-22UM3 fighter-bombers entered serial production at Gagarin
- Jan-1983. M.P.Simonov became the chief designer of the OKB.
- Jun-1984 Su-26 trainer/aerobatic aircraft first flown by Eugene Frolov.
- 01-Sep-1984 Su-27 piloted by Viktor Pugachev has landed with air-finisher.
- 07-Mar-1985 Su-27UB first flown by N.Sadovnikov.
- May-1985 version of Su-27 with foreplanes first flown.
- 1986..1988 P-42 has set 27 world records. It was flown by V.Pugachev,
N.Sadovnikov, E.Frolov, and O.Tsoy.
- Aug-1986 Su-25UB first flown.
- Aug-1986 Su-26M of the Russian team won the 1-st place of the world
- Aug-1987 Su-27K first flown by V.Pugachev.
- Aug-1987 Su-28 (Su-25 trainer/aerobatic) first flown.
- Mar-1988 Su-27UB with aerial refuelling system has flown by N.Sadovnikov
and I.Votintsev in Moscow--Novaya Zemlya--Moscow, and Moscow--Komsomolsk-na-Amure--Moscow.
- Jun-1989 Su-27, Su-27UB, Su-25, Su-28, Su-26M first shown in LeBourget,
- Aug-1989 Su-27 and Su-28 first shown in Tushino on aviation parade.
- Aug-1989 Su-2, Su-17M4, Su-24MK, Su-25, Su-26M, Su-27, Su-27UB were shown
on central airfield in Moscow.
- 01-Nov-1989 Su-27 piloted by V.Pugachev and Su-25UTG piloted by
I.Votintsev and A.Krutov first landed to an aircraft carrier.
- Feb-1990 export version Su-26MKh entered production.
- State Unitary Enterprize AVPK Sukhoi created 26-Aug-1997 from OKB named
after P.O.Sukhoi, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk, and Komsomolsk-na-Amure Aviation
Industrial Unions, and Taganrog Aviation Science and Technical Complex named
Links related to Pavel Sukhoi and the planes of Sukhoi Design
Sukhoj.com - German Sukhoj page. Great
images at Fly MiG or Sukhoj in Moscow
"Terminator" - a derivative of the Su-27 'Flanker',
the Su-37 is a super-maneuverable thrust vectoring fighter.
"Berkut" - Russian next generation Sukhoi fighter.
T4-MS Russian next generation Sukhoi Strategic Bomber
- Russian portal to Sukhoi fighters
Other Relevant Pages of the Virtual Guide to Belarus
Belarusian Castles and
Historic Belarusian Battles
The Belarusian Cities guide is a part of the Virtual Guide to Belarus - a
collaborative project of Belarusian scientists
abroad. VG brings you the most extensive compilation of the information about Belarus on
Please send your comments to the authors of VG to
History | Statehood | Culture | Law and Politics | Cities | Nature and Geography
Resources | Dictionaries