Zhaludok

Zhaludok or Zheludok is a town in North-Western Belarus, located in Shchuchyn region of Hrodna Voblast (District), 90 km of Hrodna.

zhalud_2.jpg (10674 bytes)

The Ascension of Holy Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church. Photo of Ian Balzunkevich, beginning of XX c.

The church was built in Late Classycism style in 1854 by an architect Karal' Padchashynski. .

zhalud_1.jpg (20310 bytes)

A recent photo of The Ascension of Holy Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church. The church is presently in service.

 

kremegne.jpg (6630 bytes)

L'Atelier. A lithography by Pinchus Kremegne.

Zhaludok Historic Timeline

1490. The Grand Duke of Lithuania Kazimir IV builds a first Roman Catholic church in Zhaludok.

1529. "Miastechka" - a small town - owned by the Grand Duke of Lithuania.

1686. Kazimir Frantzkevich builds a wooden Monastery of Carmellites.

1760-1780. The Mayor of Hrodna Antonij Tyzenhauz privately owns Zhaludok. He is buried in the Altar of The Ascension of Holy Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church in Zhaludok.

1795.. As a part of Grand Duche of Lithuania Zhaludok was a privately owned town untill it's occupation by Russian Empire in 1795. At this time it has become a center of Zhaludok Volast (County) of Lida Pavet (District).

1812.. Napoleon Army passes the area.

1831. The Carmellite Monastery is abolished of its state funding by Russian Empire and is turned into a hospital of Estland Jager Regiment in 1839.

1896. A renown Belarusian-French painter Pinchus Kremegne is born in Zhaludok. According to Ul. Symaniec:

"...Pinchus Kremegne was a friend of both Soutine and Kikoine. After studying sculpture at the Vilnia School of Drawing, he left for Paris in 1912. In Paris, Kremegne joined the group of painters of Montparnasse and soon became one of the respected residents of La Ruche. In 1915, he gave up sculpture in order to dedicate himself to painting.

Pinchus Kremegne is today one of the great names of contemporary painting. As a human being, however, he has
lost none of the modesty and gentles he brought with him from Belarus in 1912, traits which we can certainly consider part of his Belarus heritage."

Pinchus Kremegne and a number of Jewish artists from Belarus created what is now known as Ecole de Paris, or School of Paris.

1921-1939. Occupied by newly emerged Poland. 

1939- present. A regional center of Hrodna Voblast in Belarus.


References used in this file:

"Arhitektura Belarusi. Encyklapedychny davednik" ed.: A.A. Voinau and others, Minsk, Publishing house "Belaruskaia Encyklapedyia" named after Piatrus' Brouka, 1993. ISBN 5-85700-078-5.

"Etnahrafiia Belarusi. Encyclopedia" ("Ethnography of Belarus. Encyclopedia")
Publishing house "Belarusian Soviet Encyklapiedyja" named after Piatrus' Brouka, Minsk, 1989.
575 pages. ISBN 5-85700-014-9.

A. M. Kulahin "Katalickiia Hramy na Belarusi. Encyklapedychny Davednik" ("Roman Catholic Cathedrals in Belarus. Encyclopedia") Minsk, Publishing house "Belaruskaia Encyklapedyia" , 2000. ISBN 985-11-0187-7.

"Hrysciianskiia Hramy Belarusi na Fotazdymkah Iana Balzunkevicha. Pachatak XX Stahoddzia" ("Christian Cathedrals of Belarus on Photographic Prints of Ian Balzunkevich. Beginning of XX Century". Ed.: A.M. Kulahin. U. A. Herasimovich, Minsk 2000, Publishintg House "Uradzhaj". ISBN 985-0-008-x



Google

 Search:

Web this site - belarusguide.com belarus-misc.org belreview.cz

This file is a part of the Virtual Guide to Belarus - a collaborative project of Belarusian scientists and professionals  abroad. VG brings you the most extensive compilation of the information about Belarus on the Web.
Please send your comments to the authors of VG to Belarus

History | Statehood | Culture | Law and Politics | Cities | Nature and Geography | Travel | Global Resources | Dictionaries | Chernobyl | Genealogy | Industry | New

1994-04 VG to Belarus
Disclaimer